Learn how to automatically sync your Campspot reservation data to your Mailchimp account through the Mailchimp Integration.
Through this integration, Campspot and Mailchimp automatically sync so that your customers' contact information and other specified reservation data are available in Mailchimp. This integration allows campground owners and operators to more easily create and segment audiences for marketing purposes. Email marketing campaigns in Mailchimp can be targeted specifically based on data points related to Campspot guest reservation details.
The Mailchimp integration eliminates the manual work of importing Campspot reports into Mailchimp.
What is Mailchimp?
- reach customers and drive sales/bookings
- connect with and support customers
- convert leads into contacts
- manage and embed designs (by embedding your custom graphics and logo into your email campaigns)
To learn more about Mailchimp and how it can benefit your business, visit their website here.
Integration Setup Instructions
To get started with this integration you must first make sure you have an account with Mailchimp. If you do not currently have an account and would like to create one, you can do so by visiting Mailchimp's website. This page takes you directly to their available packages and pricing.
After confirming you have a Mailchimp account follow the steps below:
First, sign up for the Mailchimp Integration through our sign up form here.
Please note: this form serves as a contract addendum detailing the stipulations of the integration including monthly pricing details. The sign up form must be completed by management or owners of your campground.
After receiving the sign up form the Campspot team will activate the integration and you will be able to see the new Mailchimp functionality in the admin site. This integration should be activated within a week of submitting the sign up form in most cases. In the next few steps you will learn how to locate this in the admin site and complete integration set up.
- In the Campground Setup section of Campspot, you will be required to enter some Mailchimp specific information in order to complete the connection. A new page at Campground Setup > Integrations is accessible to those with the correct permissions. To update permissions, a park admin should navigate to the User Management > Roles page and select the Role that should have Integrations permissions. This permission set is located under the Campground Setup permissions as shown in the clip below.
- Create an Audience and then Find Your Audience ID
Note: Before the integration can begin importing your contacts from Campspot you must create an audience specifically for Campspot contacts. The above article walks you through how to Create an Audience and the second article shows you how to locate your Audience ID after creating it.
- Find Your API Region ID - Login to your Mailchimp account and look at the URL in your browser. You'll see something like https://us19.admin.mailchimp.com/; the 'us19' part before the word 'admin' is the API Region ID. Please Note: your specific value may be different.
Login to Mailchimp to generate or obtain the three numbers required for integration activation; the API Key, the Audience ID and the API Region ID. Below you'll find links or instructions on how to obtain these three numbers:
In Campspot, Navigate to Campground Setup > Integration. On this page you should see Mailchimp listed towards the top with three fields to enter information below. Below the three fields, click the green Connect button.
Enter the required three numbers that you obtained in step 4 and click the Save button below. If correct numbers have been entered the status at the top will toggle to on. After saving you will see the status of the integration change to Active.
After you've entered the required numbers and the integration has changed to Active, data syncs between Campspot and Mailchimp will begin within 12 hours or less (depending on time of day you input the info).
Please note: If you do not see the Integration page in Campground Setup and you have already completed all of the previous set up steps, please contact your Customer Success Manager or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Below, review the Frequently Asked Questions related to the Mailchimp Integration.
Q: How do I turn on the Mailchimp Integration?
To learn the necessary steps, please read the section above titled Integration Setup Instructions.
Q: Are there any costs to use this integration?
The cost to use the integration is $10 per month to be paid to Campspot. The $10 is added on to the monthly invoice that is currently paid to Campspot for reservations.
Depending on the the type of Mailchimp account you have there may also be costs to use Mailchimp, however, this integration can be used with a free account. When selecting a plan through Mailchimp, please be sure to select a plan that supports the number of Campspot contacts (guests) that you have.
To learn more about the different plan options and costs with Mailchimp visit their website here.
Q: How often is my information from Campspot synched in Mailchimp?
All customer information is synched in Mailchimp every 24 hours.
Q: What customer and reservation information is sent to Mailchimp?
The following customer information is sent from Campspot to Mailchimp through the integration
- Email address, phone number, first name, last name, address, city, state, post code country
- Membership ID, traveling with pets, total amount spent at park, total number of orders/transactions made at park, latest booked RV type, latest booked RV length, latest booked number of slideouts
- The following data for the nearest future reservation: check in date, check out date, reservation campsite type, origination date, promo code, site locked status
- The following data for the current reservation: check in date, check out date, reservation campsite type, origination date, promo code, site locked status
- The following data for the nearest previous reservation: check in date, check out date, reservation campsite type, origination date, promo code, site locked status
Q: How do I create specific audiences to send emails to in Mailchimp?
Please refer to Mailchimp's help center page for questions about specifics of how to best use their software.
How do I send an email in Mailchimp?
To view a step-by-step guide on sending an email in Mailchimp using the data sent from Campspot through the integration [READ HERE].
Q: I have questions about my Mailchimp account; who can help answer these?
Any Mailchimp questions not related to the your Campspot data or the integration specifically should be directed to the Mailchimp team. If you need help as your are getting started with a new account, Mailchimp also has a team of Onboarding Specialists available to help new users get onboarding and set up quickly and efficiently.
Q: Can I send mass emails directly from Campspot now?
No, mass emails cannot be sent from within Campspot. This integration transfers your customers' information to Mailchimp and you can use that information to send emails from there.
Q: What kind of emails should I send to my guests from Mailchimp?
Mailchimp has numerous email templates and examples available on their website here to help businesses create effective email marketing campaigns. In addition to the resources available there, we also recommend considering sending the following types of emails to past present or future guests:
- Reminders about campground policies or events happening during guests' stay
- Information about add-ons guests can purchase from your camp store in advance of their trip
- Tips on things guests can do nearby to your campground
- Upcoming special offers and promotions
- Resources for while guests are on site - camp store hours, instructions for how to use the laundry or shower facilities etc.